Feed the Hungry, Change the World
In creating the Brooks Road Community Garden in the spring of 2013 we teamed up with iGrow Sonoma, a local group committed to improve the health of Sonoma County residents. iGrow’s goals are summed up below:
- Encourage people in all parts of the county to grow their own fruit and vegetables
- Inspire people to create neighborhood garden groups and new community gardens
- Connect experienced gardeners to beginning growers
- Strengthen our communities by sharing food and life skills
- Help people find local sources of healthy food
In our first year we donated over 100 lbs of fresh, organically-grown vegetables to the Windsor Service Alliance. In 2015, with the expansion of garden space and application of all we’ve learned, that much was given away in a single week! Another expansion occurred in 2016, and with year-round growing, the donated yield is now over 1000 lbs a year. Garden plots for community members are also available for annual rent at a very reasonable rate.